Friday, August 20, 2010

Welcome to breakfast in Denver


Hatch chili rellenos, originally uploaded by cabanagirl.

This is a switch from oatmeal and blueberries but I just couldn't help it. When I first heard of a Denver omelette I learned that the main ingredient was green chilies. Years ago when I was dating a man from Denver he taught me how to make an authentic green chili but my mother taught me how to make good rellenos. My mother was not known for her skills in the kitchen but she could whip up a fabulous meal on a Coleman stove with one pan. My parents and their friends often headed South for the weekends in Baja California and once we arrived my mother would flag down the local residents for fresh tortillas and chilies. She would not serve rellenos for dinner or lunch but breakfasts were killer meals.
I have served mine with salsa from Trader Joe's but fresh would be even better. Try them and Bueno Appetit!

1 comment:

Marjorie said...

Looks and sounds delicious! I must try this recipe soon.