Sunday, August 1, 2010

Door Knobs


door knobs, originally uploaded by cabanagirl.

I bought a 1927 brick Tudor home in Denver. As I live in this lovely old house the charm and personality are shyly revealing themselves. The old beautiful oak wood floors are creaky in areas, It is nearly impossible to drill holes in the brick walls to hang window coverings. And it takes a little coaxing to close the doors completely but these things aren't a bother at all especially since Ryan does the drilling and I live alone so the fact that doors don't latch shut is irrelevant.
My favorite old features are the doors and door knobs. The doors are raised panel but not like the ones in Lowe's; the doorknobs are exquisite. Most of them are crystal pulls with brass hardware. In the bathroom the inside knob was replaced with a milkglass one. The closet doors are brass and bronze and the front door is brass.
Ten years ago on my first trip to Maine my friend Marjorie and I went antique-ing in York. I found a beautiful ebony knob set and had to have it. I don't know which door I will place it on in my old new home but one of them will be begging me for it soon.

1 comment:

Marjorie said...

I remember knob shopping. You have found a good home for them. I love your painting, it will look great hanging in your home.