Sunday, August 29, 2010

Summer harvest from the garden


IMG_1032, originally uploaded by cabanagirl.

Well I have been in Denver for 2 months now. I have ALWAYS loved summer but this season in this area is so different from Southern California......it is hot. Hot is ok but I am still expecting the ocean breeze to come in about six in the evening and cool things down until the next day but OH NO not here.......still waiting
My gardening comes at 6:30 in the morning until the sun is too intense to deal with any longer and then I can return at twilight when it has cooled down to the 80s. This schedule has allowed me to get my minimal gardening in. A month ago I planted my raised bed vegetable garden and am now picking things daily.
The back yard was a weedy mess when I bought this property. Before I moved in Whitney was over pulling weeds furiously but they grow back so fast. I have a detached garage that is accessed through the alley. This is totally a utilitarian building. It has a flat roof, no design shape and very plain windows....until yesterday.
I have planted 5 fruit trees which I espaliered against the wood fence, transplanted my favorite roses against the garage wall, added my bird welcoming mat and filled in with some blooming perennials. I'm sure my neighbors were worried when they saw me painting my shutters orange but they look a lot softer since I blended the pink. And nobody sees them on this side of the garage but me and Sophie.

3 comments:

Marjorie said...

Denise: Honestly, I was prepared not to like Orange/Pink shutters. Surprise! I think they look great!

Denise said...

Ah, Marjorie!
You and the neighbors! I would not put them on the front of the house but they do have a garden color

Jane LaFazio said...

you are workin hard! it looks fabulous, and I love the shutters and the fruit trees and roses! you're really creating a beautiful home, dear Denise, and in less than 2 month.
thanks, I'm feeling a little better, but still on the mend after a week. ayk.