Friday, August 6, 2010

Blueberry coffeecake with lemon streusel

The blueberries are abundant, at a good price and delicious! So yesterday I spent some time in the kitchen making this yummy cake for the second time...only this time I thought that I would "shoot" the process. The recipe comes from the King Arthur flour folks, Blueberry coffeecake with lemon streusel. The blueberries are fabulous but you could probably substitute other summer fruit like peaches. The sour cream makes it really moist....yogurt would also be great....but the candied lemon peel adds a great crunch to the topping and should not be substituted or left out. I baked the cake for 55 minutes; the recipe calls for 30-35...which is not enough.
Kate and Ella were eager to help make the cake sometimes completely elbowing me out of the picture. Sometimes the process and the tasting is better than the final results although I am pretty sure these girls will be back today for the end result with a glass of milk.
Following in the process for making your own candied lemon peel (or any citrus):

3 comments:

Marjorie said...

Denise, My cake looks just like yours, I also cooked it 55 mins I used King Arthur candied lemon pieces imported from Italy. Delicious!

Denise said...

Yum. I'll have to try those next time but I have to say the homemade ones were really good.

Marjorie said...

I agree Denise; I have made them myself but trust me the Italian ones are worth the investment. I hope you try them.