Thursday, October 15, 2009

Suzani quilt


Suzani quilt, originally uploaded by cabanagirl.

"Suzani" means needlework in Central Asia. This design is from one of Kaffe Fassett's quilt books. The colors are rich and earthy like the natural dyes in that part of the world. For a little more detail I hand quilted the inside of the circles with a #6 perle cotton thread. I have fond memories of this quilt. I made it in a week during a trip to my friends, Marjorie and Harvey in Maine in the summer of 2006. Marjorie picked me up from the airport in Portland and we quickly drove to the sweet little town of Portsmouth, New Hampshire to Portsmouth Quilt Shop where I picked out almost all of the fabrics...at least all of the gold background fabrics and most of the solid shot cottons. During my visit Marjorie and I spent a lot of the time at our machines sewing and just catching up and doing what friends do. When she returned me to the airport the following week we made a second stop into to quilt shop because of course we might have needed more fabric. I pulled out the finished quilt top and they sales associates could not believe that only a week had passed. This may be the definition of obsessive but I would just call it good clean fun. This quilt now keeps me warm at night. It is by far one of my favorite. And I have great memories of that week with my friends in Maine. Oh by the way....The gold backing of the quilt top was completed before the circles were added to the top. The extra bulk was then cut out....and I just had to use the cut out circles for placemats. What can I say? I grew up in the 60s with parents who grew up during the Depression. I just can't waste anything.

2 comments:

Amber T said...

So pretty. This is one of my other favorites. Plus with all the leaves starting to change colors around here it's a great Fall color quilt.

Marjorie said...

I agree with Amber this is also one of my favorite quilts. I remember well, how fascinated I was as I watched you cut it out and how rapidly you put this masterpiece together. Blew me away!