Thursday, October 29, 2009

How to peel a pomegranate????


pom whole, originally uploaded by cabanagirl.

What a lovely fruit and the juice tastes so good. But any of you who have tried to open one of these fruits is soon spattered with purple/red juice that is hard to get out of your clothes; leaves your fingernails stained and is sometimes just not worth it.

When I was a child I lived about 100 yards from my grandparents who had a huge pomegranate tree growing behind their massive garage. Oddly landscaped it was growing right next to a heavily thorned cactus my grandfather no doubt transplanted from the desert he so much loved to visit. Needless to say it was really difficult to pick the Poms and looking back I am not sure how much of this fruit my grandparents actually ate. But always at this time of year the 7 grandchildren living on the adjacent properties managed to get our share. Our parents stripped us down to our underwear and we were allowed only to eat them outside. We thought the rules were kind of funny but I certainly understand them in retrospect. Eating pomegranates in our undies. Oh what fun!

I still love this fruit. I look forward to every fall for pomegranate season and it is here! We all know by now that pomegranates are superfruits. They and antioxidant treasures and so many food manufactures are adding them to commonly consumed food and drink. Check out the California pomegranate official website to find out more cool stuff. Let me show you how to get at the inside of this fruit without splattering all over yourself and without stripping down to your undies.....although that may be fun....just keep it inside.

2 comments:

Marjorie said...

I guess as tasty as they are it is worth the effort.

It certainly was less messy than my lobster picking episode this afternoon, another tasty adventure.

man with desire said...

The Bible describes in a very interesting way about pomegranate tree:

http://koti.phnet.fi/petripaavola/Bible_Trees9.html