Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Salade Nicoise


Salade Nicoise, originally uploaded by cabanagirl.

Ah! A classic French salad. Years ago when I was a student at the Cordon Bleu in Paris I, like many other "locals", would spend some of my free time at the cafe sipping coffee, water or wine. Dejeune was sometimes included....not dinner... that was either a picnic or at a bistro. I soon found a favorite in either sliced tomatoes (always vine ripened) and mustard or this classic salad named after the city of Nice. The essential Mediterranean influence ingredients: haricot vert (skinny little young green beans), small potatoes, olives, tomatoes,hard boiled eggs and tuna. Here is the method:
Make a vinaigrette dressing of
olive oil
lemon juice or a good vinegar
mustard...Dijon of course
herbs, finely chopped
Toss the salad greens with some of the vinaigrette and lay on plate
Arrange along the outside the vegetables and eggs
Place the tuna (salmon and shrimp are also yummy) in the center
Drizzle more of the vinaigrette over the top.
Now, open a fine bottle of wine and take your masterpiece outside and enjoy the day.
Bon Appetit!

3 comments:

bwhitney20 said...

It is 9:18 A.M. in Denver and the snow is coming down like crazy - yet I am craving Salade Nicoise. I wonder why!!!

Denise said...

Oh Yes...I have seen the weather report. The Mediterranean sounds pretty good today, n'est pas? So Cal is 70 deg and lots of sunshine. I am smiling! We'll have some of this yummy salad when we go to France. Can't wait!

Marjorie said...

It is definitely one of my favorite salads and very satisfying.

It is cold in Maine in the 40's sunny then cloudy then sunny, weather can't make up its mind what it wants to be today. Fickle :)

I am baking an apple streusel, Mmm... Smells good!