Sunday, October 25, 2009

Chicken pot pie..comfort food


chicken pot pie, originally uploaded by cabanagirl.

Who doesn't love a good chicken pot pie? In anticipation of selling my house soon and then packing and moving as little as possible, I am looking to my pantry, freezer and fridge for inspiration. I always have baking essentials in the pantry. I had a package of peas and another of pearl onions in the freezer; leftover roasted chicken and carrots in the fridge. I had frozen my chicken stock from last week's cooking; and I had fresh tarragon in the garden...so voila! all of the ingredients for chicken pot pie. I had to make a quick trip to the market for an onion, parsley and cream. But unless I have company coming for dinner or I am craving something crazy, this is the way I cook. It's like I am just waiting to be inspired by what I brought home on a previous shopping trip that had no plans attached.
This recipe from Ina Garten made 6 of these containers full. I will keep a couple for meals this week and freezed the remainder for another time.
Bon Appetit!

4 comments:

jojo said...

I was raised on Swanson Chicken Pot Pies:) My mother worked PMs and my dad would throw a TV dinner in for us.

Yours looks yummy - as usual!

Denise said...

Oh Jojo.....Please come to my house for dinner! Then we'll do a session of Pilates after to work off the butter!

Marjorie said...

I love chicken potpie.It really is comfort food, and I am sure yours are delicious :) Enjoy!

jojo said...

Color me there!