Thursday, August 6, 2009

La tarte des demoiselles tatin

Happy Birthday, Julia! In honor of you and the opening of the movie, Julie and Julia Bon Appetit Magazine invited readers to create an item or a meal right out of Mastering the Art of French Cooking. This was my dish: La tarte des demiselles tatin (Upside-down Apple Tart). page 638, volume one.
I started with apples from my tree! When I was a student at the Cordon School of Cooking in Paris we learned that the ideal way to plan a menu was to go to the local open market and choose what was fresh or in season as a starting point. So I just stepped out of the kitchen about 15 feet and picked my apples. From there it was pretty easy. I wish that the apples had caramelized a little more but I had to take the tart out of the oven a little early. A realtor was going to show my house tonight with 30 minutes notice.......and after I had left the house she called to cancel...5 minutes until 7:00pm.
The tart was absolutely delicious.....mostly apples, a perfect crust. I think I will have it for breakfast too...maybe with a little yogurt.
Bon Appetit!

3 comments:

Marjorie said...

Julia would be proud of you... It looks wonderful. I love apples and pastry. "Happy Birthday Dear Julia"

jojo said...

OMG - apples are my favorite. I'll be right over!

Anonymous said...

This looks very good. Good enough to make my mouth water just looking at the picture.