Sunday, October 12, 2008

leek and mushroom and bean soup


leek and mushroom soup
Originally uploaded by cabanagirl
The Farmers' market had beautiful baby leeks and I wanted to pair them with beans for a hearty soup on the first cool day we have had this season:
1/4 cup olive oil
6-7 baby leeks
2 stalks celery
2-3 cups sliced mushrooms, any variety
2 cups cook beans, I used cranberry beans, a very hearty bean
1 quart chicken stock....very key. Use a good one..better yet make your own
green vegetable, I had some fresh green beans, but bok choy would be terrific
grey salt with 5 pepper blend for seasoning

Saute leeks and celery in olive oil
Add mushrooms and saute 2 minutes longer
Add stock and bring to a simmer
Add cook beans and greens and cook until greens are tender
Season
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Marjorie said...

sounds yummy! Looks Yummy! Harvey is making Chicken Soup as I type.

Marjorie said...

Denise, It is a cold fall day, so I decided to make your soup to try and warm our souls. I must confess that I went mad, and added, garlic, carrot, zucchini,cauliflower,chicken & cumin. Harvey always likes his soup packed with ingredients. It was great! Thanks for the idea.