Sunday, October 12, 2008

Eggplant Parmesean


Eggplant Parmesean
Originally uploaded by cabanagirl
One of my most reliable recipes. I hope you try it:
1 large or 2 small eggplants, slices in 3/4" pieces
1 egg, fork beaten
1 cup Panko crumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1/4 cup olive oil
Fresh Mozzarella cheese, 2 balls, sliced 1/4 inch
2 cups tomato based pasta sauce, I use Rao's Arrabbiata or fresh roasted tomato sauce (previously posted)
1/2 cup Parmesean cheese, grated

Dip the eggplant pieces in the egg and then the breadcrumbs and add the pieces to a flat pan with olive oil. Fry until crisp and golden. Drain on paper towel.
In a baking dish large enough to hold all eggplant pieces, first coat the bottom with about 1 cup tomato sauce.
Layer the eggplant, cheese, sauce and grated Parmesean.
Place in 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until Mozzarella is melted and golden

3 comments:

Marjorie said...

Denise,
I used to have plates like the one you have your "yummy looking eggplant" on. Mine were green, and I have no idea what happened to them. I guess they were a casualty of the Maine move! I will make that recipe.

Denise said...

Marjorie,
These plates are what identified us as "soul sisters". When I saw that you had the same plates that I did I knew it was more than coincidence. Try the dish...thick steak size slices of eggplant makes the difference

Winifred said...

mmmmm that looks delicious.

Must try it when I can get some Japanese breadcrumbs.