Monday, December 7, 2009

Pineapple mirror


pineapple mirror, 2, originally uploaded by cabanagirl.

One of my favorite things: 2009 has been a year of purging.....finding new homes for some of the collection of stuff that I simply don't need or want any more. I have sold some items on eBay & Craigslist and I have taken extras to the Goodwill and books to the library bookstore. I have given some of my plants and roses to friends that I know will enjoy them.

But some things have to stay. I bought this little mirror about 12 years ago from a home decor boutique in Newport Beach for about $100. I hung it in my dental operatory for my patients to re-apply their lipstick after I had cleaned their teeth. When I left that office I took it home and enjoyed it even more. But the silver plate on it was thin to begin with and the ocean air and time had turned the finish pretty dark. I have taken some of my silver plated items to be re-plated and the mirror seemed like a perfect candidate for "re-blinging". The cost for re plating was more than I originally paid for the mirror but I rationalized it by Christmas gifting to myself (something we all do I'm sure). And I had just sold an old item on Craigslist.
This is the result. The silver just shines....each of the pineapples (40 in all) was beautifully refinished. The frame is just as reflective as the mirror itself. It makes me smile.

3 comments:

Marjorie said...

Denise, I love that mirror, what a gorgeous treasure. I can appreciate why you invested in re-plating it.

It really is magical, and as you said will look beautiful anywhere.

I have always loved pineapples on furniture, signs, cloth, paper, and now this mirror.

Who wouldn't love to have this beauty hanging in a prominent place in their home?

Lucky you!

Denise said...

Thank you, Marjorie....if I ever find another...I will buy it for you

Scarlett said...

That's really stunning, Denise. You do have a special eye when buying/finding things... Martha Stewart could use you!!