Thursday, December 10, 2009

Happy Birthday, Harvey!


Happy Birthday, Harvey, originally uploaded by cabanagirl.

Today is my friend, Harvey Holste's birthday. I met Harvey when he had a dental practice in Newport Beach and I had some time available to be a substitute dental hygienist. When you substitute you can pretty much decide after an hour or two if you will ever return....if not you ride out the day and collect your check at the end. My first impression with Dr. Holste was different: "Wow!" I thought, he is really a good dentist! My first impression was absolutely right and he is also a good person. Harvey came with Marjorie who would call me when they needed me to return to the office and then we all became friends. I would be invited to their lovely home in Corona del Mar for dinner....usually grilling, as I remember and then I discovered that he and Marjorie were also fabulous hosts, cooks and friends. They live in DownEast Maine now. Besides celebrating a birthday today he is also preparing to close his dental practice and retire. He has served his patients in both of his communities so well and he has always been good to his staff. The dental world will miss his skills, his generosity and his tenacity.
Harvey, I hope your birthday is filled with good spirit, good food and good wine.
Happy Birthday, Harvey!

8 comments:

Marjorie said...

Denise,
What a lovely tribute to the birthday boy. I will be sure to have read your comments.

He loves his birthday card and appreciates your friendship.

Marjorie said...

I left "him" out of the sentence-also, I love the card.

Unknown said...

Denise,

Thank you for the cupcake birthday card that you painted for me. It is very nice, too bad I can't eat it.

I appreciate the thought and the kind comments.

Marjorie made me a delicious scallop dinner followed by a piece of fruit cake for dessert. I am hoping she will make me some cupcakes this weekend.

jojo said...

Yes, lovely tribute. Happy Birthday Harvey!

Scarlett said...

So cute! I just love the poinsettia touch -- how December of you! Very clever.

Funny, cupcakes were also on my mind for Harvey with his birthday. Perhaps I can follow through with that and bring some up. We have the best shop for them here, 4 blocks away from me: www.sweetcupcakes.com

Mum will kill me though... I'll need to think on it more.

You started something here, Denise!!

Denise said...

Harvey would love a real cupcake, Scarlett...too hard for me to send him one. Just take one per participating eater....every one deserves a little birthday cake

Marjorie said...

I made him Profiteroles today, does that count?

Denise said...

Profiteroles sound divine but I think there are cupcakes a comin'