Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Soupe a l'oignon, gratinee


IMG_1331, originally uploaded by cabanagirl.

As these days and nights get colder a good bowl of hot soup will warm the hands and the tummy. Twenty six years ago I attended the summer session of the Cordon Bleu cooking school in Paris. I wanted to be a student to learn the methods of French cooking.....not just collect recipes. Recipes can be found with the click of a mouse these days but methods must be learned by the senses. You need your nose to smell, your mouth to taste, your eyes to see the changes in your food prep and of course your hands for many reasons.
This is the classic Cordon Bleu recipe for French onion soup: I hope you try it. Bon Appetit!

Onions, 4, (I used what I had- 1 spanish, 4 cippolini, 3 long skinny red ones that I picked up at Spinelli's and even a shallot)
butter, 1 cube
flour, 3 Tbs
wine, white, 1 cup (choose one you would drink)
chicken stock, 4 cups (hopefully seasoned with a bouquet garni)
or add the
bouquet garni
bay leaf, 1
thyme, fresh, 3 sprigs
parsley. 4 sprigs, include stems
celery stalk with leaves, 4" piece
leek greens, 2 4" pieces
sandwich and tie with kitchen twine
and remove before serving
Gruyere cheese, grated
baguette sliced in one inch thickness,
method:
slice the onions into 1/8 inch thickness. Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan and add the onions. Cook of medium low until the onions are caramelized. I wish I had taken a photo at this stage but I didn't. This will take some time......up to 30 minutes or maybe even more. A dark golden color to light brown is perfect. Be careful not to burn the butter or the onions.
Add the flour and cook until the smell of the flour is gone. Then add the wine. Don't forget to pour yourself a glass at this point. Cook until the liquid is reduced. Add the chicken stock with or without the bouquet garni. Cook for about 20 minutes until the tastes are all blended. Add S & P to taste.
Here comes the fun
Oven 400 deg
Place the bread slices in the oven until toasted.(This step must be done to keep the soup from soaking in to the bread making it soggy.)
then choose a good soup bowl/tureen that will handle the heat. Remove the bouquet garni and spoon the soup into the bowl. Place the crouton on top of the soup and then add the grated Gruyere on top. Place back in the oven until the cheese melts.

This is a hearty soup that is traditionally eaten after an evening at the theatre or Christmas shopping. It is one of my favorites but will leave you smelling like a roasted onion the next day. I don't eat this often because I am a dental hygienist and work very close to people.
BUT:
Sunday night as I was wrapping Christmas packages I got a call from my "boss". He fired me .....I'm not sure why but said I didn't "fit in" with his other staff members.
It was a pretty shitty day after that so I resorted to kitchen therapy. And I didn't much care what I smelled like the next day.
This soup was perfect to comfort me and bring back great memories of my 6 weeks in Paris so many years ago.

1 comment:

Marjorie said...

Denise, It looks and sounds wonderful, I will make it soon. I can smell it already. I am sure a nice slice of a french baguet with it will be superb.
Thank you for the recipe!