Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas paperwhites, tutorial


paperwhites, originally uploaded by cabanagirl.

I love bulbs and Christmas is the time for "paperwhite" narcissus and amaryllis. Every year I plant as many paperwhite bulbs as I can find and afford. They are about $1 each so I must pace myself but I love the whole process of starting with brown bulbs and ending with these gorgeous white blooms. These are from last year but let me walk you through the process. It is too late to plant for Christmas blooms but you can still find the bulbs in nurseries and they will bloom in 2-6 weeks. Good luck!

1 comment:

Marjorie said...

Denise, The Paperwhites are so beautiful. I remember when you grew them in Ca. I didn't realize how easy they were to grow. I will try to find some bulbs and give it a go.
I can imagine how fabulous they must smell. Thanks for the tutorial.