Wednesday, December 8, 2010

pumpkin ravioli with brown butter and sage sauce

I had dinner with Whitney and Kate last Friday night at our locally owned "Cherry Tomato" restaurant (on Cherry Street). When the server offered this special pasta I couldn't resist. It was fabulous and rich! This gave me a great idea as to what I should do with my sweet pumpkins left over from Thanksgiving just 10 days before. So I roasted my pumpkins with olive oil and herbs including lots of sage. Then I put the cooked pumpkin through the food mill to make a creamy a flavorful puree. Ok then I sweetened it a bit with maple sugar and added a little kick with so pepper spice. I added some eggs to the mixture and cooked it on the stove until the extra moisture had evaporated and the mixture resembled a custard.
Then came the ravioli assembly which follows:
I topped this yummy pasta with brown butter (melted butter cooked until it turns brown but does not burn) and chopped fresh sage added when the butter is oh so hot that it sizzles the sage pieces as you drop them in turning them crispy.
Cooking the ravioli and making the sauce takes about 3 minutes. The pasta from beginning to end in time intensive but very good therapy and worth every minute of time.
My daughter-in-law, Amber is a great fan of ravioli, too. Amber I wish you were here to have dinner with me tonight.
Buon Appetito!

3 comments:

Marjorie said...

Denise, the ravioli looks divine but it also looks like a lot of work. I think I'm too lazy to make it myself
I would have to wait till I found a good restaurant or show up at your house to eat it:-)

Denise said...

Please come over any time and bring your appetite! Wine is cold!

Amber T said...

My mouth watered reading this post!! I wish I had been there too--not only to eat, but what have been fun to make together too.