Saturday, June 5, 2010

There were very old and dead things


Orvieto from the necropolis, originally uploaded by cabanagirl.

Of course we all know that Italy has a deep history. The "rock" of Orvieto was first build and occupied by the Etruscans. Those are the guys that lived 600 BC even before the Romans. They buried their dead at the base of this rock city in the necropolis along with the treasures that they owned. The tombs have since been raided and lay empty but moss and lichen grow inside and wild flowers grow outside making this dead place very alive. That is Orvieto on the top and my portable chair in the foreground. Yes I should have noticed it in my frame but the picture is still good.

4 comments:

Marjorie said...

Great pictures and painting. I love the robbed tomb one, what gives it that patina look?

Denise said...

It's moss!

Marjorie said...

gorgeous!

Serena Bates said...

Hi Denise isnt it wonderful what you can find on the internet!!! I was looking for roses and I found your blog! I love your illustrations and your blog is just great. Now i need to get back to the rose! Cheers