Thursday, June 17, 2010

ready to leave the nest


ready to leave the nest, originally uploaded by cabanagirl.

and so am I. These precious little hummingbirds hatched 2 weeks ago while I was in Italy. Each day I watched them "get a little taller" in their nest until I could see that they were no longer able to fit. Monday evening my neighborhood children and I were watching them when one of them was brave enough to try his first flight right in front of our eyes. We were all so thrilled with gave him a round of applause and a gallery of cheers. He looked like a child taking first steps and not sure of which way he was headed. He left his sibling alone in the nest at night. Tuesday morning I left for my walk at 6:45 and when I returned at 7:30 the other hummer was gone although I could hear the young family in the nearby bushes which was the destination the night before.
So these little guys were ready to take flight and leave their little nest and so am I. Ryan arrived today and we are ready to pack the truck tomorrow. Saturday morning we are headed to Colorado, my new home. I feel like the little fledglings from my garden but trust that I will land in a safe and happy place.
I'll check in on the other side.

5 comments:

Marjorie said...

They are really precious little birds. I hope they will have a long life.
I am thinking about you and pray all goes well. I know how hard you have been working. I hope Colorado is a great move for you. Good luck Denise!

Peggy said...

Travel safely, Denise. And you will have family and a new friend looking forward to having you here. Let me know when you want a diversion from piles of boxes.

Anonymous said...

Safe travels and love Colorado!!

Jane LaFazio said...

a new adventure!! safe travels.

jojo said...

SAFE TRAVELS!

You will still be here on the internet:)