Sunday, April 25, 2010

April at the Farmers' Market

The second thing I do on Sunday morning is to go to our local Farmers' Market. Besides becoming more and more popular and helping our local farmers sell directly to their neighbors, it's a wonderful source of inspiration for the coming week's menus. I was planning to pick up my usual organic strawberries and fresh "happy" (that's free range & organic) chicken and eggs. And the hand made chicken tamales with salsa verde is a given. But today I was hoping to find pea tendrils and snap peas for a fish dish I want to make. Not only did I find the pea greens but also fresh tender arugula, artichokes for $1 each and these gorgeous squash blossoms. I hope I get to paint these beauties before I eat them and I'll really be lucky if I get to do both. I hope you all have a local Farmers' Market to shop from each week.

3 comments:

Marjorie said...

Everything looks fabulous Denise, I want those artichokes. I am eager to go to the Farmers Market and purchase some of the farmers bounty.

I am eager to hear how the fish recipe turned out. I am curious about the squash blossoms as well. I have not tried cooking them myself.

Denise said...

The blossoms are really quite easy. I understand it is one of the items we will prepare in our cooking class in Italy next month.

Marjorie said...

I can't wait for you to share that recipe :)