Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Newly remodeled 5th BED room


raised vegetable beds, originally uploaded by cabanagirl.

After 5 days of work in the 100 degree Denver summer I have completed my fifth bedroom....the vegetable BEDroom. I now have three 32 square feet raised beds, irrigated by a soaking system connected to my sprinkler system in which to try my California hand at gardening. I have also invested in 2 apple trees which I plan on espalier-ing along the fence. I am so proud of this project. But there is still a little more to do. I must plant seeds and garlic bulbs (not yet ordered) and then there is a space to the right of the sidewalk, about 5ft by 15 ft which will be a neat a tidy "green" zone. Included will be my recycling area, a compost bin and a barrel to collect and re-use rainwater. For a person raised in the 60s and present to celebrate the very first Earth Day I am over the moon excited about this whole new room. Let's hope I am lucky enough to have a "green thumb" in Colorado.

7 comments:

Brad said...

These look awesome!

Marjorie said...

I agree with Brad...Awesome :-) You are one energetic, dedicated, gardener, Denise. I admire your determination to get a beautiful vegetable garden started. I know everything in it will thrive and bring great food and joy to the table.

Denise said...

Thank you Brad and Marjorie. The Brussels sprouts will be ready for Thanksgiving dinner

Ralph said...

Looking great. I am in the process of digging up this years potatoe crop I hope you have as much sucess.

Denise said...

Ralph, potatoes! I am impressed. You must have a lot of room. Where do you store them once they are dug?

Laura @ EdenRose said...

I am so jealous!! This is exactly what I want to create at home, it looks incredible. Cant wait to see what you produce :) x

Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog XX

Jane LaFazio said...

Oh Denise! I've so enjoyed perusing your blog and seeing your new house! you've made tons of progress and it looks soooo lovely and welcoming. I know you're going to be very happy there!! xoxo