Monday, July 18, 2011

Strawberry Grand Marnier ice cream with fraise de bois

Here is the classic strawberry ice cream with fresh berries and a twist...orange:
Creme Anglais base:
4 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup milk
2 cups cream
1 tsp vanilla or 1/2 vanilla beans, cut open and steeped in the milk
Strawberry sauce:
3 cups strawberries
1 cup sugar...or to taste
1 tsp orange zest
2 Tbs Grand Marnier
Fresh strawberries

Prepare your ice cream base and cool. Sauce: Stovetop combine hulled and quartered strawberries and sugar and reduce until thick. Add orange zest and Grand Marnier and cool.
When both the base and sauce are cool combine and pour into ice cream maker. Top with fresh strawberries.
Happy ice cream month!

2 comments:

Marjorie said...

I have my ice cream machine ready and waiting for your arrival:-)I hope it still works after all these years. I guess I better do a trial run.

Denise said...

I'm sure it works. Try strawberry or peach or a sorbet. All are divine. More to come