Monday, July 4, 2011

Garden Harvest: red white and Lavender blue


lavender ice cream, originally uploaded by cabanagirl.

Happy Independence Day!!
In celebration of the 4th of July I made lavender honey ice cream. Those of you who know me even just a little bit know that I LOVE lavender. I love the color, the fragrance, the plant and wonderful things you can do with it. This week the lavender is in bloom in my garden so I decided to bring it in to the kitchen. Here is the recipe:

4 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup milk
8-10 fresh organic lavender flowers

2 Tbs good honey

2 cups cream

Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until the color of lemons
Bring the milk to just below boiling and add the lavender flowers. Turn off the heat and steep until milk is warm.
Add the milk to the "yellows" and mix well, remove the lavender flowers.
Return the mixture to the stove and stir constantly until it coats the back of a wooden spoon and you can draw your finger over the spoon leaving the finger mark.
This is the classic French recipe for Creme Anglaise.
Remove immediately, add the honey and strain mixture through a sieve into a bowl sitting in an ice bath to stop the cooking. Add the cream. Cool in the refrigerator overnight. Use your favorite ice cream maker to finish it up.

This is a very delicate ice cream and so special. I hope you try it.
Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

Marjorie said...

I bet the ice cream is wonderful. Harvey and I were going through our Maine boxes this morning, and Harvey found my ice cream machine that I bought from Rooster Bros when you and I were shopping there on one of your Maine visits. I will definitely make it as I have several lavender bushes in my Texas garden. Thanks for the recipe.

Denise said...

I remember that fabulous ice cream machine. I forgot to add the vanilla. I must edit the post