Saturday, September 26, 2009

My hero


Uncle Dick and me, originally uploaded by cabanagirl.

Everybody needs a hero and my Uncle Dick is mine. He has been more like a father to me than an uncle and I appreciate him more than he understands. When I was a little girl he would toss me up into the air and always catch me on the way down. He still is always there to catch me when I am close to falling. Tonight he and his wife Irmgard came for dinner and to watch the USC football game. It was a little Saturday night dinner party and we all had a good time. And our Trojans won!!! Besides being a great guy Uncle Dick was a member of the Navy's UDT (underwater demolition team....now referred to as the Navy Seals) and served in the Korean War. After that war he went to dental school at USC and became one of the finest dentists I have known. He was my first employer and he took me under his wing and trained me to be a fine professional like himself. He has been my employer, my mentor, my uncle and my friend and always he has been my hero. He is the finest man I know on this earth and I have been lucky to have him in my life.
Well one of Uncle Dick's favorite meals is meatloaf. So that took center stage for tonight's menu:
avocado grapefruit salad
meatloaf with a tomato relish
roasted purple potatoes and carrots
caramelized shallots
Matanzas Creek Chardonnay
Peach cobbler with French Vanilla ice cream

The dinner was yummy (meatloaf doesn't photograph well and you know what it looks like) Try the meatloaf recipe. I used pork, turkey and veal but you can use any ground meat. Irmgard thought it might be better than her own recipe. No doubt hers is good too.

2 comments:

Marjorie said...

Denise,
Your Uncle Dick looks great! Harvey and I love the picture of the two of you.

The menu sounds wonderful, and I am sure it was as you are a great cook.

I can imagine what a lovely evening you all had. I will treat myself to a bottle of Matanzas Creek chardonnay.

The winery is really beautiful. A trip to the wine country would be nice this time of the year.

jojo said...

Denise - what a wonder post:)