Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Peach ginger sorbet with raspberry sauce

Today's expression of backyard peaches is sorbet. I also had on hand some beautiful raspberries so this is my version of peach melba:
Peach sorbet:
2 cups fresh peaches, pealed, pitted and diced, shortly rested with 1 tbs sugar and 1 tsp lemon juice
1 cup simple syrup (made from equal parts of sugar and water brought to a boil on the stove until sugar is dissolved and then left to cool)
1 Tbs fresh grated ginger
Puree the peaches and the ginger together, add simple syrup and process in an ice cream maker

Raspberry sauce:
1 pint fresh raspberries
sugar to taste (less is better)
In a small saucepan, heat the raspberries with the sugar until the raspberries start to break down. Let cool slightly or serve immediately over sorbet as shown above.
This was a delightful and simple dessert made from the bounty of fresh summer fruit.
I daily pick and prepare peaches from my tree. It is a chore that some days I am not in the mood for but I am so grateful for this "free" harvest and I enjoy trying new ways to share and enjoy them. I wish you all could stop by for your share of my bounty.