Sunday, June 19, 2011

Welcome to my new garden!


Back yard garden, originally uploaded by cabanagirl.

It has been exactly one year since I arrived to my new home in Denver. The back yard was mostly mowed weeds but showed lots of potential: there was enough room for a yard for Sophie and my Denver granddaughters and still room left over for a garden and needless to say lots of sunshine! Even a space for some chickens. So I started my plan.
I wanted a French Potager garden to include vegetables as well as flowers and fruit. Now 12 months later I have apple trees, artichoke plants an asparagus bed, blooming wisteria finding its way up the iron arbor I brought from California along with my favorite roses. Sunflower, poppy and pumpkin seeds have been planted in a total of 7 raised redwood beds along with the expected tomatoes and squash. I have grapes and watermelon, celery for soup, basil for Italian cuisine, sugar snap peas for snacking and petunias to shade a place for me to read. The garden is brand new but will hopefully bloom and grow.
Enjoy your garden tour:

2 comments:

Marjorie said...

Quite an accomplishment Denise...I am very impressed. I wish I was your neighbor:)

Jane LaFazio said...

oh my gosh Denise! It's fabulous. and in just a year. you did a fantastic job. really wonderful