Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The pumpkin patch


young pumpkin, originally uploaded by cabanagirl.

Late in May and still taking a risk on a late freeze I planted 3 pumpkin seed in the alley driveway behind my back fence (which I know is about the ugliest back fence on the planet. I want to revamp this part of the property but it is not in the budget this year so I settled with a corner of the driveway with a little dirt and discarded (or I should say recycled) pieces of broken cement used to form a planter to confine the dirt.......this area is now called the pumpkin patch. The broad leaves of the vine got hammered in the hail storm 3 weeks ago and I thought any chance of a pumpkin for Halloween was lost. Well, look closely: here's one hiding under the leaves. And another hanging on the fence.....and yes, the pumpkin patch as of 3 days ago. Actually when I got home from work today the fence pumpkin and become so heavy the tendrils could no longer support it so it has fallen to the ground but in a soft spot......keep tuned I may have a Halloween pumpkin patch of my own in 2 months.

1 comment:

Marjorie said...

I'm finally back on the internet, not without a major runaround.
Your pumpkins are fabulous, what are you going to do with them? Your garden looks glorious. You are the Queen of gardening for sure. Love Brads birthday painting as well. I'm sure he appreciated your thoughtfulness.