Tuesday, October 5, 2010

In search of yellow leaves


yellow leaves, originally uploaded by cabanagirl.

Today I was a leaf peeper! I went out southwest of Denver in search of yellow leaves.....that would be of the Aspen trees. This is my first opportunity to see them turn from their spring green to yellow. In my 20s and 30s I used to ski in the Rocky Mountains and would see these trees naked for winter standing only in their upright birch colored white bark with black and gray marks down the trunk. In the spring the gentle breezes will catch the leaves and make a lovely flapping sound. I found a really nice grove on an off highway road, parked the car, got out my chair and started to sketch. It was a great day to leaf peep!

3 comments:

Marjorie said...

Really beautiful Denise! The colors are perfect!

Denise said...

Thank you, Marjorie, it was a beautiful day to paint

Jane LaFazio said...

oh yea! perf subject... nice work dear Denise.