Friday, September 9, 2022

After apricots come peaches, nectarines and plums

 Next to ripen on the orchard trees is peaches followed by nectarines.  One characteristics of stone fruit is that it all ripens within a short period of time - usually 2 weeks to a month.  When I planted my trees 3 years ago I studied a calendar of harvest time and made a graph. I jokingly realized that most of my fruit ripens in alphabetical order: apricots ( same time as apples), nectarines, peaches and plums.  Although not stone fruit the Asian pears follow the plums, then pomegranates and this year the resurrection of persimmons.  And there are tons of passion fruit ripening on the vine but first nectarines and peaches and what on earth am I going to do with my bounty


peaches plums and nectarines



Nectarines ripening on their branches - will be ready soon
My peach crop was ok- about 30 but my nectarines were abundant - maybe 400
Besides eating them fresh - lean over a sink because they are juicy I made a batch of canned stone fruit using as little sugar as possible.  I added cinnamon, star anise, allspice and about 2 " of a vanilla bean for a rich spicy flavor  Here is the recipe from Food in Jars 

And then I made a batch of peach scones.  King Arthur Baking is a great go to for anything baked.  Her is their recipe
What a great treat for breakfast 





No comments: