Saturday, March 10, 2018

Hotel silver- old and shiny














partial collection

I have been on an early Spring cleaning marathon.  Maybe I just wish it were Spring and get this Winter over with.  These last two weeks I have spent in the kitchen cleaning out and organizing the pantry, pulling out the stove and cleaning behind it followed by a fresh coat of paint on the walls and most recently going through my buffet and sifting through the treasures I have collected through my years knowing that it is time to part with some of this stuff.  I came across my collection of hotel silver and decided to give it some love and use it again.  Hotel silver was used in the 19th century in hotels.  The flatware is silver plated and was often marked with the hotel logos.

simple to elaborate

Sheffield, England

Most of the pieces were made in Sheffield, England but not all of them.

German stamping

Here is one from the Jefferson Hotel in St. Louis and one for Louise:
Louise, St. Louis- Jefferson

A couple of years ago I did a watercolor of these beauties:

watercolor


Even the backs are beautifully designed:
backs

I love the horse on this handle:
horse







and a few more.  One with the letter "K"  I bet this one finds its way to my Kate.
"K" for Kate


beautiful design

No  I'm not letting go of any of these today.  I have about 50 more to polish and tidy up and then I plan on using them for every meal.   I'm happy with washing them by hand.

Hotel silver







No comments: