Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Butterfly migration- The Painted Ladies

on the zinnias
It is time for the Painted Ladies to migrate South.  As soon as the sun starts to shine these lovely creatures take over the yard busy flying from one blossom to another almost in a frenzy before the first snow.  In the Spring I planted a pollinating garden replacing about 200 square feet of sod.  I planted some perennials but also scattered poppy, marigold and zinnia seeds.  The first part of the summer the bees were busy doing their honey things but now it is the butterflies' turn.  At any one time there will be about 100 which is pure joy for me.  I think I have about another week before the first freeze when all of my flowers and tomatoes will be done but for now I am enjoying the little bit of sunshine Denver is getting and watching these fun ladies ( and gentlemen, I'm sure)

on the marigolds

busy butterfly

on chrysanthemums

No comments: